Nurse Practitioner | Nurse Practitioner Bio
Donna Oberkfell, MSN, RN, CPNP
Allergy, Immunology and Pulmonary Medicine
Pediatric Lung Transplant Program
Donna Oberkfell joined the division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Immunology in 2008 as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. Currently her clinical duties include outpatient management of pediatric lung transplant patients as well as follow up management of patients with asthma and allergy. She has worked in Pediatric Nursing at St. Louis Childrens Hospital since 1990 and has been invloved with pediatric lung transplantation since the inception of the program as a staff nurse, transplant coordinator and nurse practitioner. Donna is invloved in development of policy and procedures, updating patient education materials, research, and she serves as a resource to clinical staff. She has been invloved with the United Network for Organ Sharing on many levels including organ allocation, wait list and policy. She also has experience working in the Emergency Unit at St. Louis Children’s Hospital as a pediatric nurse practitoner. She has a special interest in transition of the chronically ill child to adult providers.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Missouri, Columbia 1989
- Master of Science in Nursing, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, St. Louis University, 1999
- St Louis Children’s Hospital, 1990- present
- Washington University in St. Louis, Pediatric Allergy and Pulmonary Medicine, 2008 – present
Licensure and Board Certification
- Registered Nurse in the state of Missouri, current
- Advanced Practice Nurse recognition in the state of Missouri, current
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner certification, Pediatric Nursing Certification Board, current
- Certified Clinical Transplant Coordinator 1996-1999
- National Association for Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, 1999–Present
- St. Louis Area Pediatric Nurse Associates/Practitioners, 1999–Present
- Asthma Education Committee, member, 2008-Present
- Washington University School of Medicine Departmental Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Council, Committee Member, 2008-Present
- Selected as an expert in the area of Pediatric Lung Transplant, by the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners Clinical Expert Panel, 2009
- “The Lung Transplant Patient Returns to the Community”, Perspectives in Pediatric Transplantation, Saint Louis Children’s Hospital, 2002.
- “Perspectives in Pediatric Lung Transplantation”, The International Transplant Nurses Society, Annual Fall Conference, 2003.
- “Transition from Pediatric to Adult Health Care: Mind the Gap”, Allergy Conference Washington University, 2009.
- Contributor for Teaching Manual of Pediatric Lung Transplantation
- Sredl, D. Werner, T., Springhart, D., Watkins ( Oberkfell) D., Shaner, M., McBride, G. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, Vol 18, No 3, (June), 2003. An Evidenced-Based Pilot Study Exploring Relationships Between Psychologic and Physiologic Factors in Post-Transplant Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis.
- Benden C, Danziger-Isakov LA, Astor T, Aurora P, Bluemchen K, Boyer D, Conrad C, Eichler I, Elidemir O, Goldfarb S, Michaels MG, Mogayzel PJ, Mueller C, Parakininkas D, Oberkfell D, Solomon M, Boehler A. Variability in immunization guidelines in children before and after lung transplantation. Pediatr Transplantation 2007: 11: 882–887.