Infectious Diseases | Teaching
The Infectious Diseases division was selected for the Outstanding Division Teaching Award from the SLCH House Staff in 2016.
Elective Rotation for Students and Residents Objectives
The general objective of the 4-week rotation in pediatric infectious diseases is to provide 4th-year medical students and residents with the opportunity to care for children with a broad variety of infectious diseases, allowing development of evaluative skills and therapeutics knowledge in this area of pediatrics.
Specific goals include the following:
- To learn to recognize and treat complications of common infections in children
- To learn to recognize and treat opportunistic infections in immunocompromised children
- To learn to recognize and treat unusual infections in immunocompetent children
- To learn to select antimicrobials for specific infectious diseases
- To learn about the overall management of children with HIV exposure and infection
- To learn preventive steps to avoid infectious illnesses
- To gain an appreciation for infection control and public health issues and to be aware of how to communicate with public health authorities
- To gain an understanding of strengths and limitations of the diagnostic tests performed in the clinical microbiology laboratories
- Participate in the daily activities of the pediatric infectious diseases team, including inpatient rounds and microbiology laboratory rounds with the attending, fellow, clinical pharmacist, and medical student
- Perform consultations on inpatients and emergency outpatients as assigned by the fellow or attending
- Write notes on inpatients on a daily basis or as advised by the fellow or attending
- See patients in the pediatric HIV clinic Monday afternoons
- See patients in the general pediatric infectious diseases clinic Thursday mornings
- Ensure communication with primary care physicians and other appropriate individuals (i.e., medical and surgical subspecialists involved in patients' care) on all inpatients and outpatients, unless otherwise advised by the fellow or attending
- Dictate discharge summaries on patients admitted to the Infectious Diseases service
- Attend the Pediatric Infectious Diseases division conference Mondays from 12 noon - 1 p.m.
- Attend the Adult-Pediatric Infectious Diseases case conference Tuesdays from 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. and present at least one case during the rotation
- Attend the Pediatric Infectious Diseases case conference Wednesdays from 12 noon - 1 p.m. and present cases as assigned by the fellow and attending