Information About St. Louis
Moving to St. Louis
St. Louis Children’s Hospital does not provide stipends for residents’ moves to St. Louis.
Washington University labels the following suppliers as some of their preferred movers.
- Dodge Moving & Storage (Mayflower) 314-344-4300 ext 313
- North American Van Lines/ Cord Moving & Storage, 1-866-742-1558
St. Louis Area
Most residents live in the Central West End (CWE), which is within walking distance to Children's and the Medical Campus. Other residents also choose to live in other St. Louis City and County neighborhoods, which are only a short drive away.
Drug Stores –
- Walgreens – 4218 Lindell or 2933 S. Kingshighway or 2310 McCausland
Gas Stations –
- West Pine and Newstead (also offers inspections)
- Delmar and Kingshighway
Grocery Stores –
- Trader Joe’s – West on 40/64 to Brentwood – south
- Schnucks Grocery Store – Lindell & Sarah streets area (4171 Lindell) or Brentwood and Manchester Streets area (8800 Manchester) or 5055 Arsenal, or 6600 Clayton
- Straubs – Maryland and Kingshighway (302 N. Kingshighway) in Central West End
- Whole Foods - West on 40/64 to Brentwood – south
- Global Foods Market - every ethnicity grocery, arranged by ethnicity, 421 North Kirkwood Rd
- Olive Supermarket - Asian grocer, 170 N, E on Olive, 8041 Olive
- Jay International Food Co. - Tower Grove, 3172 S Grand
- Viviano and Son’s Italian Grocery – Shaw Ave on The Hill (South on Kings Highway)
Home Improvement –
- Target – West on 40/64 to Brentwood-south
- Microcenter & Best Buy - West on 40/64 to Brentwood – south
- REI – 1703 S. Brentwood, 63144 314-918-1004
- Bed, Bath & Beyond – 53 Brentwood Promanade Court, 63144, 314-961-4900
- The Container Store – 1769 South Brentwood Blvd. 63144, 314-968-8480
- Walmart – 1900 Maplewood Commons, 63143, 314-781-2165
- Sam's Club - (paid membership required) next to Lowes in Brentwood-1900 Maplewood Commons
The Loop –
- Kingshighway and Delmar (west on Delmar) – shops, restaurants and The Pageant (music venue)
Movie Theaters –
- Chase Park Plaza – S. Kingshighway and Lindell
- Tivoli – Delmar in the Loop
- Hi-Pointe – West on 40/64 to Skinker/McCausland south
- Moolah Theater – 3821 Lindell (also has bowling alley)
- AMC Esquire – 6706 Clayton Road
Cell phones/calling plans –
- Check with providers for discount information – AT&T definitely offers a discount (it’s worthwhile; employees at the store on Brentwood near Whole Foods are familiar with it), Sprint and Verizon might have discounts. Sprint is the pager phone for the Campus. You will be given a pager phone for texting and paging only and cannot be combined with your personal plan.
Also see “Living in St. Louis” on our main residency page.