Foreign Medical Graduates
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions from International Medical Graduates
- We accept students graduating from foreign medical schools
- We do have a minimum Step 1 score requirement----220
- We accept no more than 1 attempt to pass each Step
- We require ECFMG certification (preferably by the time of your interview and definitely before the ranking deadline)
- We sponsor J1 visas only
- We prefer no more than 3 years from graduation date
- Actual clinical/hospital experience is required in the last 3 years (observerships, externships); hospital experience is required in the last 3 years (international OK)
- ERAS - We participate in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We accept applications through ERAS September 15 – November 1
- We participate in the ERAS application process only and the positions are filled via the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) match
- We do not offer observerships, externships or research programs prior to residency
- We do not offer pre-interviews or pre-matches
- Currently there are 9 foreign medical graduates in our Residency Program
Applications are reviewed based on the above requirements. Invitations to interview will be sent out October 1-31. Application deadlines and required paperwork are ERAS defined and can be found on the ERAS website. The selection process is completed with the “match” through the National Resident Matching Program.
A complete application consists of the following:
- Dean’s letter
- Transcript of grades
- USMLE Step 1 score
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation written by physicians with whom you have worked during medical training. Preferably, one letter will be written by the chairman of the Department of Pediatrics or the pediatric residency program director.
All candidates who are contacted by our program to interview are expected to visit the hospital, meet the house staff and faculty, and tour the patient and educational areas. Interviews are conducted October - January.