Director, Division of Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Ruth L. Siteman Professor of Pediatrics, Professor of Medicine and of Molecular Microbiology
Patient Oriented Research Unit
phone: (314) 454-4525
Dr. Storch's research program is devoted to using molecular methods to improve the rapid diagnosis of infections. The infectious agents of choice are those for which existing methods are inadequate, either because the agent cannot be cultivated or because current diagnostic methods are too slow or insufficiently sensitive. The emphasis is on viral and other unconventional agents, in both normal and immunocompromised hosts. Dr. Storch is also interested in pathogen discovery and applications of high-throughput nucleotide sequencing to that process. Dr. Storch's main current research project is a study of viral causes of fever without focus in young children. He also continues to work on developing and evaluating new molecular diagnostic tests.
- AB, Harvard University, 1969
- M.D., New York University Medical School, 1973
- Intern and Resident in Internal Medicine, Jewish Hospital of St. Louis at Washington University Medical Center, 1973 - 1976
- Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer, Centers for Disease Control, 1976 - 1978
- Infectious Disease Fellow, Washington University School of Medicine, 1978 - 1981
Licensure and Board Certification
- State of Missouri, Physician and Surgeon, 1975
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 1976
- State of Louisiana, Physician and Surgeon, 1976
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty of Infectious Diseases, 1980
- Best Doctors in America, 1992
- Best Doctors in St. Louis, 1993
- Board of Directors, Harvard Alumni Association, 1999 - 2002
- Fellow, American Academy of Microbiology, 2000
- Distinguished Service Teaching Award, Washington University School of Medicine, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2001
- AIDS Foundation of St. Louis Red Ribbon Award, 2002
- Who's Who in America, 2002
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Vice-President Washington University Chapter 2009-10, Chapter Chair 2010-2011, 2006
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Ashley Award, 2006
- Washington University School of Medicine Alumni Faculty Award, 2006
- Diagnostic Virology Award, Pan American Society for Clinical Virology, 2008
- Samuel Cherrick Community Service Award, 2008
- Washington University Nominee for AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award, 2008
- Keynote Speaker, Washington University School of Medicine White Coat Ceremony, 2009
- Teacher of the Year Award, Selected by the Washington University School of Medicine Students, 2010 - 2011
Storch, G. (2016). Relationship of human bocavirus 2 to gastroenteritis in children [Letter]. Journal of Clinical Virology, (in press).
Tam, P.-Y. I., Obaro, S.K., Storch, G. (2016). Challenges in the etiology and diagnosis of acute febrile illness in children in low and middle-income countries. The Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, (In Press).
Wylie, K. M., Blanco-Guzman, M., Wylie, T. N., Lawrence, S. J., Ghobadi, A., DiPersio, J. F., Storch, G. A. (2016). High-throughput sequencing of cerebrospinal fluid for diagnosis of chronic Propionibacterium acnes meningitis in an allogeneic stem cell transplant recipient. Transplant infectious disease : an official journal of the Transplantation Society PubMed: 26895706.
Zhou, Y., Wylie, K., Ei Feghaly, R. E., Mihindukulasuriya, K., Elward, A., Haslam, D. B., Storch, G., Weinstock, G. M. (2015). Metagenomic approach for identification of the pathogens associated with diarrhea in stool specimens. Journal of clinical microbiology PubMed: 26637379.
Crotty, M. P., Meyers, S., Hampton, N., Bledsoe, S., Ritchie, D. J., Buller, R. S., Storch, G. A., Micek, S. T., Kollef, M. H. (2015). Epidemiology, Co-Infections, and Outcomes of Viral Pneumonia in Adults: An Observational Cohort Study. Medicine, 94 (50), e2332 PubMed: 26683973.
Wylie, K. M., Weinstock, G. M., Storch, G. A. (2015). Emergence of Rotavirus G12P in St. Louis During the 2012-2013 Rotavirus Season. Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, 4 (4), e84-9. PMCID: PMC4681384 PubMed: 26513823.
Crotty, M. P., Meyers, S., Hampton, N., Bledsoe, S., Ritchie, D. J., Buller, R. S., Storch, G. A., Kollef, M. H., Micek, S. T. (2015). Impact of antibacterials on subsequent resistance and clinical outcomes in adult patients with viral pneumonia: an opportunity for stewardship. Critical care (London, England), 19, 404. PMCID: PMC4650137 PubMed: 26577540.
Simpson, K. E., Storch, G. A., Lee, C. K., Ward, K. E., Danon, S., Simon, C. M., Delaney, J. W., Tong, A., Canter, C. E. (2015). High Frequency of Detection by PCR of Viral Nucleic Acid in The Blood of Infants Presenting with Clinical Myocarditis. Pediatric cardiology PubMed: 26499513.
Storch, G. A. (2015). Editorial Commentary: Plethora of Respiratory Viruses and Respiratory Virus Data. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 61 (8), 1225-7 PubMed: 26245664.
Wylie, T. N., Wylie, K. M., Herter, B. N., Storch, G. A. (2015). Enhanced virome sequencing using targeted sequence capture. Genome research, 25 (12), 1910-20 PubMed: 26395152.