All applicants must apply through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
A complete application consists of the following:
- Dean’s letter
- Transcript of grades
- USMLE Step 1 scores
- Personal statement*
- Three or four letters of recommendation written by physicians with whom you have worked during medical training**
- Foreign medical graduates will need a valid ECFMG certificate by the time of the interview.
Applications are reviewed based on the above requirements. Application deadlines and required paperwork are ERAS defined and can be found on the ERAS website. The selection process is completed with the “match” through the National Resident Matching Program.
* MD/PhD applicant’s ERAS personal statement should encompass the research experience of the applicant and should be specific and detailed regarding future plans for academic career development.
** For an MD/PhD applicant to be considered for the PePSTP, a recommendation letter from the applicant’s PhD mentor or research supervisor must be included within the ERAS application materials.
- We do have a minimum Step 1 score requirement: 220.
- We accept no more than 1 attempt to pass each Step.
- We require ECFMG certification (preferably by the time of your interview and definitely before the ranking deadline).
- We accept students graduating from foreign medical schools.
- We sponsor J1 visas only.
- We prefer no more than 3 years from graduation date.
- Actual clinical/hospital experience is required in the last 3 years (observerships, externships); hospital experience is required in the last 3 years (international OK)
- ERAS: We participate in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We accept applications through ERAS September 15 – November 1.
- We participate in the ERAS application process only and the positions are filled via the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) match.
- We do not offer observerships, externships or research programs prior to residency.
- We do not offer pre-interviews or pre-matches.
- Currently there are 9 foreign medical graduates in our residency program.
All interview invitations will be sent to you via email through Interview Broker, an online system that will allow you to accept or decline your invitation and schedule (or reschedule) your interview date. Once you schedule an interview date, you will receive further information via email.
Scheduled applicants will be invited to a virtual social event hosted by our residents every Monday and Wednesday evening during the interview season. A Zoom link will be sent to you from a member of our Recruitment Committee.
As recommended by the AAMC, all pediatric residency interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
Most interviews are held during October, November, December and January. We strive to conduct interviews in smaller groups so that we may provide you with personal attention during your visit.
The Department of Pediatrics has a policy of not pursuing additional recruiting activities after candidates’ visits. Please do not interpret this as a lack of interest. Washington University is eager to fill its ranks with enthusiastic, compassionate and able physicians.
Interviews for all MD/PhD residency applicants will take place over two-day blocks in October, November, December or January. MD/PhD applicants will receive an invitation indicating when these may be scheduled.
Typical interview day
|8:40 – 8:45 a.m.||Introduction & plan for the day|
|8:45 – 9:30 a.m.||Get to know our program with interim residency co-directors: |
Chrissy Hrach, MD and Patrick Reich, MD
|9:30 – 9:40 a.m.||Break|
|9:40 – 10:20 a.m.||Q&A with the chief residents|
|10:20 – 10:30 a.m.||Break|
|10:30 – 10:55 a.m.||One-on-one interview with pediatric faculty|
|10:55 – 11:00 a.m.||Break|
|11:00 – 11:25 a.m.||One-on-one interview with pediatric faculty|
|11:25 – 11:35 a.m.||Morning wrap-up|
Contact the residency program office or your interviewers with any questions.
Nikki Hollander, MHA, C-TAGME
Senior Residency Program Coordinator
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
One Children’s Place
St. Louis, MO 63110